Tytera MD-390 vs MD-380

I have been pondering or not to purchase a MD-390 or 380.  I am wanting to get into DMR but I have not made the move yet. I wanted to start off with a handheld unit and then over to a Mobile radio.  I have 2 questions mainly.

1. What advantages does the MD-390 have over the MD-380 other than being water proof?  Looks like the MD-380 will do the same things the 390 will other than has a larger battery and is water proof.  Anyone know?  Also for the price difference I was just curious.  Even at $199 for the 390 it's not a bad deal.

Also with either radio, does anyone know if there are any AA battery holders available to use with it?  I was just wondering on this?  It would be nice to have the ability to use a AA batter holder on the unit in the event of your main battery being dead. Anyone know?  I would prefer a radio that has this capability if possible. 

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/02/2016

    Funny, if you look at eham reviews, it is rated 4.8 out of 5. My Icom ID-51a is rated at 4.3. I will admit that the ID-51 is more rugged than the MD-380, but I paid $600 for it 3 years ago. It seems that the only people who complain about the radio are people who do not own one. I have not talked to any ham that has one who does not like it. Reminds me of the early 80's when the elite hams had surplus Motorola HT's, and the rest had "cheap" Japanese radios like Icom and Yaesu. I have owned one for several months, and have no complaints.

    The MD-380 has in a short time tremendously increased DMR radio users. This is very good for the hobby. DMR is no longer on the "fringe" of ham radio.

    If Motorola, Hytera, or one of the ham radio companies would make reasonably priced radios with reasonably priced programming software and cables. hams would be buying them . Until then, this is the best game in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/02/2016

    Don't forget to add the $250-$300 cost for the Software to program the radio and the $70 cost of the programming cable. Being that I do not deal in Motorola Radios I do not know the exact cost for the CPS software nor the exact cost of the programming cable but I am sure someone in this group can supply the exact cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MD-390 can be had for $180 plus shipping now. The radio includes a larger battery, is waterproof, comes with both the software, and earpiece and the programming cable. It also includes a gain 'whip' style antenna and a short 'stuby' style antenna. for the extra $40 dollars, I'd say an MD-390 is worth it. You can also get them with GPS for about $20 more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can somebody explain how to use the md 390 as a VHF radio where i can dial the frequency i want to use manually? like 143.300
    i just don't seem to be able to do that...
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two versions of the radio: a UHF model and a VHF model. Can't work V on the U model and vice versa.

      Delete