The Tytera TYT MD-390 is the latest DMR radio from Tytera or TYT that is the ruggedized twin to the Tytera TYT MD-380. This unit packs many features, including, superb audio, a multicolored LCD display, front panel programmability, rugged IP67 compliant construction, plus much more. This is a great radio for anyone looking for a durable DMR radio on the cheap for ham radio or commercial use. At the time of this review, the selling price for a new the MD-390 was $170 USD.
- Audio Volume and Quality: The audio from this radio is full, with a good response to low frequencies, making it pleasing to listen to and it will get heard, even in the noisiest environments;
- Rugged Construction: This radio is supposed to be IP67 compliant and thus waterproof for 30 min. submerged in up to 1m of water;
- Multicolored LCD Display: Having a multicolored LCD display on the radio allows for easy use and programming while on the move;
- Front Panel Programming: This radio is capable of being programmed via the keypad, allowing users to make limited changes without the need for the PC;
- Antenna Connector: The antenna connector for this radio uses a SMA connection, allowing it to easily be connected to an external antenna;
- Price: At $170 USD, this radio is a very attractive option for anyone looking for a rugged DMR radio.
- Software Polish: There are a number of oddities within the firmware of the radio that impacts its overall user experience;
- Bluetooth Capability: This radio is not Bluetooth capable, so the use of wireless audio accessories is not possible;
- Desktop Charger: The desktop charger takes hours to charge the radio, plus the green “finished” LED indicator does not turn off, even when the radio is removed from the charger.